Facebook training tip – remove status updates with the hidden Hide button (2012)

• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Blogosphere News
  • Reddit
  • Technorati
  • Tumblr

Summary:

If you have Facebook friends who post their status 20 times a day, you can make them disappear, and they will never know about it.  Ironically, Facebook hides the Hide feature.

Details:

Everyone has at least one friend that posts every insignificant move of their day onto Facebook, like

• … is making coffee
  • … is adding more sugar
  • … is adding cream
  • … is stirring

and on and on.  It gets worse if they are having a full breakfast.

Want to make all of their statuses disappear?  It’s easy to do using the Facebook Hide feature, but ironically, and idiotically, Facebook hides the Hide button.  Learn the solution by text (below) or by 60 second video here:

or if that video didn’t work, click Youtube Video – hide annoying Facebook status updates and applications 2011

If you are looking at a status update from one these self-absorbed, narcissistic, ego-centric people, do the following:

• Move your mouse to the upper right hand corner of the “box” that contains the status update
  • NEW in 2010 – an X will appear
  • Click the X, and it will give you some options
  • One of the choices (near the bottom) is to say Unsubscribe from <annoying_friends_name>
    • this used to be the “Hide” button, but the Hide button at the top just hides that one story
  • Click it, and you will feel so much better
  • You then get a second option to Unfriend them

All of their statuses on your page will disappear now and forever, and they will never know.  That is, until you see them in person and they say, “Hey, did you hear that I added sugar to my coffee this morning?”

It’s a shame you can’t click the button when you see them and make them disappear in person.

If you ever decide that you do want to see their posts again, so the following

• Click the Facebook icon in the upper left corner
  • go to the bottom of your Home page
    • if it auto-scrolls, you may have to do this multiple times
  • click “Edit options” on the right
  • choose to add them back into your news feed

You can also use the same feature to remove all of those annoying quizzes like

• What Flintstones character are you?
  • How well do you remember 90210?

However, you have to remove them one by one.  You can’t click a button that says “Remove all stupid quizzes”.

Someday, I promise you, Facebook will give in to the angry masses and have a button that that allows you to

• Remove all quizzes
  • Remove all mafia wars updates
  • Remove all the other things other than status updates

I just hope they don’t hide it.

If you “Like” my page on Facebook, you’ll see pointers to blogs like this every few weeks or so.  Go to  http://www.facebook.com/pages/617-PATRICK-Social-Media-Training/299670470854

If you want to join my newsletter, fill in your email below.  Be careful out there…

For monthly Facebook tips

Be Sociable, Share!

58 comments

1 Anne Maxfield { 06.17.09 at 2:46 pm }

Can’t make it work for the ads.

2 Doug Farmer { 07.21.09 at 2:02 pm }

I’ve noticed that Facebook has a bug with the ‘Hide’ feature. If someone who I’ve hidden comments on my status or a post of mine and I then reply in that thread 5 to 10 minutes later a weird message, displayed as being from me, appears. The text is things like “You Are Strange”, “You Are Weird”, “Dont Send Me No More Ok” or “Tu Es Fou” (Italian for ‘you are strange’).

This happens on both my iMac and Windows PCs and I’m also very security concious (full McAfee and secondary mallware scanners) and never visit a site McAfee warns against.

3 Patrick OMalley { 07.22.09 at 4:18 pm }

Doug,

That really sounds like a virus. If you use any of the Facebook applications, you are more likely to get viruses like that. I would have thought McAfee would have stopped it, but I don’t use them, so I don’t know.

4 Anon { 09.24.09 at 9:55 am }

My Hero!

5 Anonymous { 10.20.09 at 1:49 pm }

Will I still be able to see comments to my posts from people I hide?

6 Pat O'Malley { 10.20.09 at 2:00 pm }

I’m not sure if you see comments from “hidden people” if they comment on my posts, although I don’t remember seeing any posts from these people in comments, so I would guess they are removed. However, I do recall seeing their updates as comments on other people’s posts, so they don’t disappear completely.

7 B { 11.30.09 at 4:51 pm }

Hey Patrick,

It looks like the hide menu changed to a button recently (within the past couple of weeks). The button hides the person by default, when I instead want to hide the application.

Do you know where they moved the “hide this application” feature?

Thanks!

8 B { 11.30.09 at 4:56 pm }

Ahh, never mind. I get it — you have to be on the “News Feed” in the new design to hide the application.

9 Jan-Mathis Schnurr » Blog Archive » Facebook Clutter Be Gone { 12.05.09 at 12:13 pm }

[...] You can remove clutter from your feed via Facebook itself. The button for hiding a friend or an application from your feed is, ironically, usually hidden from view. You can learn about this highly useful yet hardly known feature on the blog of Patrick O’Malley. [...]

10 camsav { 03.06.10 at 1:06 pm }

if someone hides your posts does that make it so you can’t see their status posts? I have some people in my friends list that I have never seen their status posts, but when I went to leave them a “hello” on their wall they have status updates that I have never seen and it never posted to my home page.

11 Patrick OMalley { 03.09.10 at 1:22 pm }

Camsav,

Even if they hide you, you should be able to see their status updates. However, they can set up privacy settings to prevent people from seeing them.

Realize also that Facebook is still very “buggy”, so sometime it just doesn’t work right.

12 Carlos { 03.15.10 at 6:38 am }

It’s a shame that Facebook doesn’t have an option to stop all application messages at once, instead you have to hide each one individually as they appear. Since these silly apps seem to multiply like rabits, I find myself hiding each time I open Facebook.

13 Patrick OMalley { 03.16.10 at 1:13 pm }

Carlos,

I have a web page that describes how to stop the silly application messages. If you go to http://www.patrickomalley.com/new-facebook-statuses-missing-slow.html and read #3, it will show you how to use Mozilla Firefox to get rid of all of the junk.

14 LinkedIn training – get rid of annoying status updates, Twitter implications | Missing LinkedIn Tips for Sales, Jobs, Recruiting, HR, etc { 04.30.10 at 12:42 pm }

[...] ironically, they hid it, copying the same dumb idea that  Facebook used (which I blogged about at http://www.the-linkedin-speaker.com/blog/2009/06/16/facebook-training-tip-remove-annoying-status-upd…).  If you click Hide, you won’t see any more status updates from those people.  If you want to [...]

15 Garrett { 05.06.10 at 5:46 pm }

awesome post…thanx!! :D

16 Vasiliki Symeon { 06.11.10 at 6:03 am }

I try to hide people or farmville,applications Etc and they keep coming back they wont stay hidden my security level is friends only.

17 Patrick OMalley { 06.14.10 at 1:21 pm }

VS,

I’ve hidden them and they were gone for good, so you may be running into a bug somewhere.

18 Nicolas { 10.14.10 at 12:24 pm }

Thanks for the post, do you know if the opposite version of this feature exists ? i.e hide your status updates from one of your “friends” without having to actually remove or block that person

19 Patrick OMalley { 10.14.10 at 8:49 pm }

Nicolas,

You can. When you post your status, there’s a Share button just below it. If you click on it, there is an option to exclude certain people.

20 anitastone { 10.16.10 at 11:55 am }

HILARIOUS. THANK U. I hid my friend Tony accidentally and now I want him back but didn’t know what to do!!!
U R WONDERFUL!

21 Patrick OMalley { 10.20.10 at 3:03 pm }

anitastone, thanks.

22 Merry { 11.09.10 at 8:42 pm }

I recently hid A LOT of annoying FB friends, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. If the hidden friend(s) comment on a mutual friend’s status update, will I be able to see it? If they comment on MY status, will I see that?

2. Will I see if they become friends with other mutual friends? I’d like to be able to know that before I write on others’ walls or comment on their statuses.

Thanks.

23 Susie { 12.26.10 at 11:54 am }

I hovered my mouse over the right hand box of the person’s post but the only choice that appears is “remove”. I can’t find the hide feature and I’ve looked everywhere on the internet for help. Thank you.

24 Larry { 01.02.11 at 9:24 am }

Yeah,me too. I only see a “remove” option, no “hide” option

25 patrick_omalley { 01.12.11 at 3:42 am }

Susie & Larry,

I just updated the video, so you can see where it says “hide”

26 patrick_omalley { 01.12.11 at 3:43 am }

Merry,

1) yes, then not sure
2) yes

27 Sarah { 02.01.11 at 3:26 pm }

I have a friend who only allows certain people to see her “whole” profile/comments. If you view the page with “no style” you can see how many hidden comments/feedback that there are. Is there a way for another person to view these comments (especially because they are about me)? I’m concerned about my character and reputation.
Any help would be appreciated.

28 anonymous { 02.27.11 at 10:45 pm }

hey are you related to martin or peter o’malley??

29 Patrick O’Malley { 02.28.11 at 9:29 am }

Sarah, you have to clarify your exact question. The fact is, if you are referring to a friend named Jane, and she has comments about you, they can be seen by Jane’s friends, and depending on the way she sent out each individual status update, they may also be available to her friends of friends, or to the entire world. Note that to the left of the “Share” button, you can say that your post shoudl be avlaibable to Everyone

30 Patrick O’Malley { 02.28.11 at 9:29 am }

Anon, I was related to a Peter O’Malley from Clinton, but not a Martin

31 anne { 07.11.11 at 6:02 am }

Awesome post thank you! I have been trying to do this for ages!

32 Dave { 07.11.11 at 6:41 pm }

If you hide someone on facebook, do all your posts still show up in their newsfeed or are you also hidden from them?

33 Patrick O’Malley { 07.11.11 at 7:22 pm }

No, they still see you. However, when you Post, you can indicate that you don’t want to Share with them, and can make that the default action.

34 Yaya { 08.22.11 at 9:51 pm }

If I hide people from my news feed, do my updates show up on their news feed? Im just wondering why people I’ve hidden are still liking my shit! Lol

35 Yaya { 08.22.11 at 9:53 pm }

Oh never mind, just read Daves post now!

36 ABC { 09.22.11 at 2:49 pm }

is there any way i can hide everything i do from certain people without actually deleting them?
i understand you can do that with status’, but can you just hide everything in general from one person? i see the two above me asked the same question, but with this “mini news feed” it’s ridiculous that everyone can see every little thing you do!

37 Patrick O’Malley { 09.28.11 at 10:11 pm }

ABC, it would be a lot of work. You’d have to block photo albums, and every new one you created, and every status post, and every Notes post, and there’s still stuff that would get through, like when you say you “Like” a group or fan page.

38 Tammie { 10.03.11 at 7:55 am }

If my mate has me on hide does that mean i can’t view his friends list or photos recent status updates

39 divinus27 { 11.16.11 at 5:08 pm }

hi,
“If you ever decide that you do want to see their posts again, so the following

at the top of the page on the right, click “Top news”
go to the bottom of your Home page
click “Edit options” on the right
choose to add them back into your news feed”
does not seem to work , ihave hidden some people some time ago and i get message that i have not hidden anything, any idea how to to people’s updates again.
thx in advance
tom

40 Sue { 01.24.12 at 5:19 pm }

Everyday, I click on the “hide” button, so I can keep my wall clean and see new posts that come up. The possts that I “hide” never stay hidden. A few hours later, they are all back again. Sometimes posts from weeks before that I “hide” come back up. Why don’t they stay “hidden” and not come back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

41 Patrick O’Malley { 01.24.12 at 6:42 pm }

Sue,

I can try to work through this with you, because I think I know what’s wrong.

If you click “Hide story” it only hides that story. I think if you click “Unsubscribe from friend” at the bottom, you will probably remain friends, but it will stop you from seeing their updates.

Also, if you look at the bottom of your page, and click “Edit Options”, you can see who is hidden.

42 Sue { 01.24.12 at 7:28 pm }

Thank you Patrick. I just wondered why the things that I hide, keep coming back to my wall. It doesn’t do this on my husbands wall. When he hides a story, it doesn’t come back. All of mine keep coming back and I didn’t knor if it was just me, or if others had the same problem.

43 Sue { 01.25.12 at 7:46 pm }

This is so irritating. Today, I have been in Facebook 3 times. Each time I have clicked on Hide This Story, yet within the hour, they are all back again. This is not from one or two people, it is anyone that posts anything that shows up on my wall. I hide the stories, and they continue to keep popping back up, even from weeks ago. What is the use of having a button to Hide something, if it is going to keep coming back. Wish it was delete, and not hide.

44 Patrick O’Malley { 01.26.12 at 11:38 am }

Sue,

I just did some tests and it worked. If you are doing the exact same thing your husband is doing and its not working for you, it might be a bug in Facebook. Facebook has plenty.

If you sent them an email, they will probably send a team of software engineers to your house to help you fix it….

45 Sue { 01.26.12 at 1:34 pm }

Lol, yeah, I am sure they would. I would like to email them though, Do you have an email address for them? Thanks for your help

46 Patrick O’Malley { 01.26.12 at 5:06 pm }
47 Derek { 02.29.12 at 10:44 am }

Same problem as Sue. Sick of hiding a story only to see it re-appear the next time I logon. This is beyond buggy, it’s just lazy admin. I don’t want to unfriend people, but I don’t want to read their status posts more than once. Any ideas?

48 TCC { 03.31.12 at 1:57 pm }

Sue – ue I have the same problem. I keep trying to HIDE ALL BY ASTROLOGY or HID ALL “whatever game” but it still shows up again later. Drives me nuts!

49 rosie { 05.15.12 at 3:41 am }

when i hide a post on my home page, it keeps coming back…i have as many times as 10 to hide an it does no good.how to hide so it does not come back ty

50 Anonymous { 07.16.12 at 11:17 am }

I have a post,I click hide(not all). It goes, but low and behold it shows up again. Help and thanks, Anne

51 anne { 07.16.12 at 11:32 am }

Like I said ,don’t want to hide all just one post and have it not come back,

52 Cindy { 07.26.12 at 5:57 pm }

I have the same problem — I have hidden items dozens of times, but when I come back to the site, there they are again. I have tried managing my lists to limit the number of people whose posts I should see, but even that does not work. Facebook will not help. This is a serious flaw.

53 Pat OMalley { 07.27.12 at 12:02 am }

Sorry, but it does work for me, so it might be a problem with a particular kind of computer or app.

54 Michelle { 09.25.12 at 11:09 am }

How can I prevent others from seeing what I click ‘like’ on? It seems that whatever my friends may read or see on their pages and, if they click ‘like’ on the article, I am able to see – I don’t want to and I don’t necessarily want them to see what I click ‘like’ on?

55 Patrick O’Malley { 09.26.12 at 1:06 pm }
56 Jill { 06.10.13 at 2:00 am }

I have the same problem as Sue and others. I hide the ‘story’ and it’s still there next time I log on. Then I remembered Facebook on my phone……. Voila! Hide the story on my phone app and then it will vanish from my notebook too. Does this work for you?

57 Zubair { 09.13.13 at 2:00 pm }
58 Oliva { 04.14.14 at 5:35 am }

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job.
I will certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends.
I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.