Facebook training tip – remove status updates with the hidden Hide button (2012)
If you have Facebook friends who post their status 20 times a day, you can make them disappear, and they will never know about it. Ironically, Facebook hides the Hide feature.
Everyone has at least one friend that posts every insignificant move of their day onto Facebook, like
- … is making coffee
- … is adding more sugar
- … is adding cream
- … is stirring
and on and on. It gets worse if they are having a full breakfast.
Want to make all of their statuses disappear? It’s easy to do using the Facebook Hide feature, but ironically, and idiotically, Facebook hides the Hide button. Learn the solution by text (below) or by 60 second video here:
or if that video didn’t work, click Youtube Video – hide annoying Facebook status updates and applications 2011
If you are looking at a status update from one these self-absorbed, narcissistic, ego-centric people, do the following:
- Move your mouse to the upper right hand corner of the “box” that contains the status update
- NEW in 2010 – an X will appear
- Click the X, and it will give you some options
- One of the choices (near the bottom) is to say Unsubscribe from <annoying_friends_name>
- this used to be the “Hide” button, but the Hide button at the top just hides that one story
- Click it, and you will feel so much better
- You then get a second option to Unfriend them
All of their statuses on your page will disappear now and forever, and they will never know. That is, until you see them in person and they say, “Hey, did you hear that I added sugar to my coffee this morning?”
It’s a shame you can’t click the button when you see them and make them disappear in person.
If you ever decide that you do want to see their posts again, so the following
- Click the Facebook icon in the upper left corner
- go to the bottom of your Home page
- if it auto-scrolls, you may have to do this multiple times
- click “Edit options” on the right
- choose to add them back into your news feed
You can also use the same feature to remove all of those annoying quizzes like
- What Flintstones character are you?
- How well do you remember 90210?
However, you have to remove them one by one. You can’t click a button that says “Remove all stupid quizzes”.
Someday, I promise you, Facebook will give in to the angry masses and have a button that that allows you to
- Remove all quizzes
- Remove all mafia wars updates
- Remove all the other things other than status updates
I just hope they don’t hide it.
If you “Like” my page on Facebook, you’ll see pointers to blogs like this every few weeks or so. Go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/617-PATRICK-Social-Media-Training/299670470854
If you want to join my newsletter, fill in your email below. Be careful out there…